For the next few months, we will be teaming up with beach-lover and food-blogger extraordinaire, Maddie Castellano to bring you some of her favorite summer recipes. If you love food, then you are gonna love her and her recipes. Enjoy!
Crepes are my all time favorite breakfast food! They are basically dessert for breakfast, what can get any better? My favorite thing is waking up on Sunday mornings to the smell of my mom's famous crepes! I took her recipe and made it healthier, without compromising the delicious taste. It’s the perfect guilt-free breakfast treat that everyone around your table will love. I was always too intimidated to make crepes because they looked so complicated when my mom made them, but believe me, you can do it! The best part is that you can throw all the ingredients in the blender and blend for 30 seconds. For the base of the crepe, I use spelt flour, coconut sugar, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, coconut oil, almond milk and a pinch of sea salt. This recipe works well for dietary substitutions, so change it up to fit your dietary needs. For example, if you are paleo, use almond flour in the place of spelt flour. I topped it off with homemade coconut milk whipped cream and that was a game changer!
Simply put full-fat coconut milk in your fridge for overnight and it will set to a thicker consistency. Combine the can of coconut milk with coconut sugar and vanilla then whip it for around 1 minute. By then it should harden up and create a fluffy and smooth texture. If you are in the mood for a savory crepe then do not use sugar in the recipe and you are good to go! I have found that the best technique is to pour around 1/4 cup or 1/3 (depending on desired thickness) into the pan. Rotate the pan so that the entire pan is covered in batter. I am berry obsessed so I always opt for berries on my crepes, but you can put whatever you want on them I personally love to top mine with coconut whipped cream, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and a squeeze of lemon. My husband loves to make his with chocolate and banana or strawberries and pure maple syrup. The options are endless.
Directions for crepe:
1. Combine all ingredients into a blender. Blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until smooth. Scrape the edges and evenly blend until the batter is at your desired consistency.
2. Heat a pan to medium heat and coat with coconut oil or butter. Pour 1/4- 1/3 cup of batter (depending on desired thickness) onto the pan. Evenly rotate the pan so that the batter is evenly covering the surface. Let the crepe cook until the bottom is light golden brown then flip.
Directions for whipped creme:
1. Place a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge overnight so the consistency thickens. Once the coconut milk hardens, it is ready to be whipped.
2. Pour the entire can of coconut milk into a bowl and combine with 1 Tbsp of pure maple syrup (or honey) and a tsp of vanilla.
3. Use a stand mixer or hand mixer and whip for 1 minute, or until the mixture has formed a solid and fluffy texture.
4. Allow crepe to cool and stuff inside or place on top of the crepe.